Living in the dorms can be tough. Especially when confined to a specific space that doesn’t have a kitchen; while the dining hall can sometimes be the source of all your daily meals, sometimes the food isn’t as appetizing or healthy as you would like. The microwave has been dismissed as a simple appliance that only warms leftovers but attempt one of these recipes and you’ll be shocked at how good and truly satisfying it is.
One Minute Quiche
Prep time: 2 mins Cook time: 1 min Total time: 3 mins Serve: 1
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk (substitutes: half and half or heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/8 cup torn pieces of fresh bread
- 1 tablespoon grated cheese (e.g., cheddar cheese, mozzarella, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs, plus more for garnish (e.g., green onions, Italian parsley, chives, etc.)
In a microwave-safe mug, add milk, melted butter, salt and pepper, and egg, then beat until thoroughly mixed together. Next, add cheese, tomatoes, bread and herbs on top of mixture. Do not whisk ingredients into egg mixture. Cook on high for 1 minute in microwave, until egg is just cooked and quiche is slightly puffed. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve immediately.
Prep time: 2 mins Cook time: 5 mins Total time: 7 mins Serve: 1
- 1 – single portion salmon filet
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2-3 fresh cut lemon slices
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Rinse salmon filet with cold water then pat dry; lay salmon skin side down in a microwavable container and put aside. Combine mayonnaise and sriracha sauce then spread mixture on top of the fillet. Add lemon slices and parsley. Cover the dish with microwave safe plastic wrap. Microwave the fish for 3.5 minutes. Using a fork, check to see if the center of the filet is done. If there is any uncooked fish, microwave for 30 seconds at the time until fully cooked.
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 25 mins Serve: 4
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1½ cups vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- ¼ cup grated Asiago cheese
In a small pan, melt butter over medium heat and saute the garlic and onions for 2 minutes. Heat vegetable broth for 2 minutes in a microwavable dish. Add the garlic and onion mixture and uncooked rice into the broth bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes. Stir in wine, cover and cook for 10 minutes more. If the rice is not fully cooked, add ¼ cup broth and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese at the end and serve.
-Contributed by Serene Hitchcock.
*Photos courtesy of Wikipedia.com